The process of Finding and Hiring the Best Qualified Candidates
Recruitment is process consisting of various activities, through which search of prospective personnel – both in quantity and quality – as indicated by human resource planning and job description and job specification is made. This process includes recruitment planning, identifications of recruitment sources, contacting those sources, and receiving applications from prospective employees. The applications are, then, passed on to selection process as shown in below figure.
- Recruitment Planning : Recruitment process starts with its planning which involves the determination of number of applicants and type of applicants to be contacted.
- Number of Contacts : Organizations, generally, decide to attract more candidates than what they intend to select as they need to possess option in selecting the correct candidates. the option is needed as a result of a number of the candidates might not have an interest in joining the organization a number of them might not meet the factors of selection. Therefore, when a recruitment program is contemplated, the organization should arrange regarding the quantity of applications it ought to receive order to meet all its vacancies with right personnel.
- Type of Contacts : This refers to the type of personnel to be informed regarding the job openings based on job description and job specification. This determines however the possible personnel could also be communicated regarding the job openings. as an example, if an organization needs unskilled employees, mere swing the requirement notice on the factory gates could also be enough. If it requires qualified and practiced managers, perhaps,it may to for advertisement in national newspapers.
- Sources of Recruitment : Once the finalization of recruitment plan indicating the number and type of individual candidates, they have to be interested in supply themselves for thought to their employment. This necessitates the identification of sources from that candidates may be attracted.
- Contacting Sources : Once the finalization of sources from wherever the possible candidates will be selected, the method of contacting these sources starts. Recruitment could be a two-way street; it involves recruiter and recruit. A recruiter has the choice of whom, to recruit based on the various information about the candidates. In the same way, a candidate must have information about the organization to decide whether to join it or not. Therefore, before creating the contact with the sources, significantly the external ones, the organization should decide the information that should be shared with the candidates.
- Application Pool : Whatever the technique of recruitment is adopted, the ultimate objective is to attract as many candidates as possible so as to have flexibility in selection. When the sources of recruitment are contacted, the organization receives applications from prospective candidates. The number of applications depends on the type of organization, the type of jobs, and conditions in specific human resource market.
- Selection : Selection is the process of differentiating between applicants in order to identify those with a greater likelihood of success in a job. In selection method, extremely specialized techniques are required. So within the Selection method, solely personnel with specific skills like experience in selection tests, conducting interviews etc. area unit concerned.