February 9, 2021
An intelligent call center software solution offers a wide array of features. In some cases, a single feature has sub-features to offer. In today’s article, we are going to explore sub-features of one of the popular features, called auto dialer. In an intelligent call center solution, you will have multiple automated dialing features at your disposal including the auto dialer itself. In this article, we will explore the two most popular auto dialers:
- Predictive dialer and
- Progressive dialer
Both of these dialers have their own advantages and disadvantages to offer. Therefore, knowing the similarities and differences between both can help you select the right one for your next outbound calling campaign.
What is a predictive dialer?
This auto dialer of the intelligent call center software has the capability to predict how many numbers need to be dialed to connect with 5 customers if 5 agents will be available next moment. It also has a predictive capacity to predict when it is more likely for a customer to pick up the call and how long would it take for the customer to pick up the call.
What is a progressive dialer?
This auto dialer of the intelligent call center solution automatically dials the number when the agent shows readiness to take the next call.
Similarities between the predictive dialer and progressive dialer:
- Both are auto dialers. It means both can fetch the number from the lead list stored or imported into the call center solution.
- Both can bypass calls that reach IVR, answering machine, busy tone, unreachable numbers, etc. They only route calls that are connected to the humans to the agents.
Progressive dialer vs. predictive dialer
- The progressive dialer focuses more on customer experience. It always makes sure that when a number is dialed, there is always an agent available to take the call. Unlike that, predictive dialer dials call in advance. It means when a number is dialed, the agent is not available. However, when the call is connected, in a majority of cases, the agent will be available to take the call.
- The progressive dialer only dials the number when the agent shows availability for the next call. Therefore, the call drop ratio will be zero in this case. The predictive dialing works in a logic of predicting the time when an agent will be available for the next call and to make sure, he/ she gets the call immediately after available status. Therefore, the predictive dialer dials the number way before in advance. In some cases, customers pick up the call before the predicted time of call pickup by the predictive dialer. This results in call drop, which is why predictive dialing can have a higher call drop rate than progressive dialing.
- Progressive dialing affects productivity as agents sit idle during the time when the dialer dials and connects the next call. A predictive dialer assures the highest productivity as not a microsecond gets wasted.
Which one to use?
Depending on the goal to be converted, you can choose the auto dialer. To get some tips and to book a free demo of the intelligent call center software, contact us.